Sound.xyz supports Optimism as well as Ethereum and BASE. Optimism is a fast, stable, and scalable Layer 2 blockchain that is 10x cheaper and 6x faster than Ethereum.
Artists can choose to upload on either Optimism, Ethereum, or BASE and collectors can listen to and collect songs easily across all chains on Sound. We support gasless uploads on Optimism, so artists will not have to pay any fees when deploying a song to that blockchain.
Here's what you'll be able to find in this guide:
Collecting on Optimism:
Collectors have several options when collecting a song on the Optimism chain:
1. Pay with ETH on Optimism.
If you have sufficient ETH on Optimism in your wallet, collecting is the exact same on Optimism. To check your balance, tap on your avatar in the top-right corner and tap again on the chain.
To add ETH on Optimism, you can either bridge your ETH to Optimism or add ETH on Optimism directly to your wallet.
2. Pay with Card.
You can collect a song using just a credit card. Apple Pay, Google Pay, Visa, Mastercard, and American Express are all supported.
3. Pay with ETH on Mainnet.
We’ve also introduced a way to pay with Mainnet ETH. If you select this option, you'll complete your purchase using ETH on Mainnet, and the song editions will be delivered to your wallet on Optimism.
Funding your wallet with ETH on Optimism:
There are two ways to fund your wallet with ETH on Optimism:
1. Bridge your ETH on Mainnet to Optimism.
- Navigate to the official Optimism Bridge. You can also use a supported third-party bridge, which are usually cheaper and faster.
- If you're using the official Optimism Bridge, read this step-by-step guide on bridging your ETH to Optimism.
2. Add funds via card directly to Optimism.
- If you want to add ETH on Optimism directly to your wallet, tap on your avatar on the top-right corner, switch your network to Optimism, and tap on "Add Funds"
- Select the currency and amount you want to transfer. Note: make sure that ETH on Optimism is selected.
- Select your onramp provider (we'll select the lowest rate by default for you).
- Select your payment method (credit card, debit card, Apple Pay, etc)
- Tap "Buy ETH" and follow the steps to complete your transaction.
Withdrawing from Optimism:
Read the official Optimism guide on withdrawing your assets from Optimism.
Note: Do NOT send your assets to a centralized exchange unless you have verified that they support Optimism - if you do so, your assets will be irrevocably lost.
Uploading on Optimism (for artists):
Artists can choose between Optimism (Layer 2) or Ethereum (Layer 1) when uploading their music by going through the standard upload flow and selecting Optimism at the final step. Uploading to Optimism is gasless and will not require artists to pay any fees.
If you're on a different chain, you may need to follow instructions in your wallet to connect to the Optimism chain.
We recommend Optimism to fully benefit from lower gas fees, but ultimately leave the decision up to the creator.